[tex-eplain] Three level indexing in eplain

John Culleton john@wexfordpress.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:28:31 -0500

At the front end eplain.tex was not set up to handle three levels of
indexing. There is a coment to the effect that the author felt no need for
three levels. I suspect he was just weary of the project at that point. And
the notation for two levels:
\sidx{foo}[bar]
is a bit clumsy. I discovered through experimentation that the LaTeX style
notation could be substituted e.g.,
\sidx{foo!bar}
or even
\sidx{foo!bar!yond}.
Such notation is treated by the eplain front end as a single level and the
code is passed through unchanged to to makeindex via file.idx  Makeindex
however  creates an item, a subitem and a subsubitem from this code in
file.ind.

There is in fact a definition of \subsubitem in eplain.tex. The above
technique allows one to use it.  The other good features of indexing via
eplain.tex are not adversely affected by this trick AFAIK.
--
John Culleton
WexfordPress - http://wexfordpress.com