Fwd: Re: [tex-eplain] Indexing and how to determine file dependencies

john@wexfordpress.net john@wexfordpress.net
21 Feb 2001 08:59:44 -0800

On my machine at least my previous response was truncated somewhere enroute.

FWIW here is the message as I sent it:

Subject: Re: [tex-eplain] Indexing and how to determine file dependencies
To: guyw@multiline.com.au
From: john@wexfordpress.net
Cc: tex-eplain@tug.org
Date: 21 Feb 2001 07:47:13 PST

On Wed, 21 February 2001, Guy Worthington wrote:

> Hello John,

> On an eplain note, I like the \description environment in TeXsis,
> except for I have no control over where it breaks the label text for
> an item, so I dug into the TeXbook, to come up with the following
> solution:
>
> -

First, I am happy to learn about TeXsis. I had not heard of it before.
Was your macro bsed on the TeXsis code?

Here is a quote from the TeXsis manual:
---------------------------
The argument  sample text  is not printed, but its length is used to determine the in-
dentation for the labels on the items, so it should be the longest item, followed by some
extra space.
.
This seems to specify the length of the label item and hence
 the indentation of the descriptive text. Is that what you want
to control? Or do you have a situation where the label itself
 may need to occupy more than one line?

I once had a situation where I needed to put lines of text in a
 sidebar alongside the paragraph. I created a macro that
used pstricks to create an
offset  text box (surrounded by an invisible white border.) Worst
case an approach something llike that might allow you to offset
 a label to the left of a paragraph and still allow for
 line-breaking within the label.

BTW: If the text of my postings are run on and not broken appropriately
 I apologize. I am using a remote mailbox system at register.com
and I did not realize this was happening. I will try to insert
manual line breaks in this letter to solve the problem.  I know how
 annoying it can be to read lines that stretch on forever.

John Culleton

-

Please visit http://wexfordpress.com
Typesetting and indexing services. Your sample chapter
indexed & typeset free!
Personal page is http://wexfordpress.com/john.html