[tex-eplain] Indexing and how to determine file dependencies

john@wexfordpress.net john@wexfordpress.net
21 Feb 2001 08:33:50 -0800

On Wed, 21 February 2001, Ed L Cashin wrote:

> john@wexfordpress.net writes:
>
> > I don't doubt you have used make . What I question is whether you
> > acheved significantly better results than you could have with a simple
> > script.

(snip)
> This one shows how test-static.pdf depends on its tex source and also
> the test-static.1 figure.  The figure depends on its metapost source.
> If I change the metapost source for the figure, make will rebuild the
> figure and then the tex document; but if I just change the tex source,
> there's no need to rebuild the figure:

> --
> --Ed Cashin                    integrit file verification system
>   ecashin@coe.uga.edu          http://integrit.sourceforge.net/

OK, that's a good example. I forgot about figures and such which indeed meet the criterion of "separately compiled module" which would make  "make" useful.   I concede, withdraw and  leave
the discussion with head hung down.

John Culleton

Please visit http://wexfordpress.com
Typesetting and indexing services. Your sample chapter
indexed & typeset free!
Personal page is http://wexfordpress.com/john.html