[tug-summer-of-code] Doing something useful, now we've been rejected

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Mar 20 00:24:56 CET 2009

> In each case the project could be the integration of TeX/LaTeX into the
> respective software, to render mathematics.

  Feel free to contact the administrators for these different projects,
if you'd like.  As for me, I would like to focus on TeX proper.  There
were projects I was interested in mentoring for TUG, had we been
accepted; now I would like to use my time by coding for them instead of
mentoring.

> I think it would also help to look at these organisations (and others)
> to get some sense as to why they were accepted and we were not.  I hope
> we can do better next year.

  I don't think there is much we can do about it.  Google mentions on
several places they can't accept all the organizations they would like
to; I don't think they're just being polite, they simply can't sponsor
each valuable project.  Applying for TUG is not an exam; failing does
not mean we weren't good candidates.  We were competing for a rather
liberal use of corporate money; the provider is entitled to arbitrary
decisions at some point (and the different organizations are not even
"investments"; Google draws not direct benefit from all these expenses).

	Arthur