[tug-summer-of-code] Project idea: Hyperlinked syntax highlighting for TeX code

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Mon Feb 16 19:19:01 CET 2009

>> With a system in place to support these ideas, formats such as LaTeX3
>> could provide features to aid integrating the syntax of new packages into
>> whatever this system is. (Such as producing a listing for CTAN of all
>> macros defined in a package.)
>
> Yes.  If each package listed the command it provided etc.  As I understand
> it, ConTeXt has something similar.

  Yes, the cont-en.xml database (and equivalent files for other
natural languages) that is used in the texshow application available on
contextgarden.net.  It is also used in the text editor TextMate
(available, alas, only on the Mac) for automatic completion and command
option suggestion.  Maybe Mojca can comment on it.

>> If there is more than one student interested, it would be possible to get
>> one working on the hyperlinked pretty-printing engine, and another working
>> on incorporating it into TeXworks.
>
> I think the proposal I've written is nicely self-contained.  Maybe you'd
> like to write another proposal, Will, covering some of your ideas.

  As Will, I'd also be happy to see some connection with actual text
editors (especially TeXworks, obviously), but it's your project, of
course.  Can you write up a slightly more formal proposal, or do you
want me to copy the text of your original e-mail?  I'll mark you as the
mentor for the moment.  If you feel you won't have time to supervise it
after all, we'll just retire the project.

	Arthur