[tug-summer-of-code] Student applications for MathTran JavaScript

Jonathan Fine jfine at pytex.org
Mon Mar 24 23:54:48 CET 2008

Hello

Here is some advice for students thinking of applying for the MathTran
JavaScript project.

First, if you've not already done so, read the Google SOC FAQ.
Particularly important is:
===
Your application should include the following: your project proposal,
why you'd like to complete this particular project, and the reason
you're the best individual to do so. Your proposal should also include
details of your academic, industry, and/or open source development
experience, and other details as you see fit.
===

The closing date for submitting applications is March 31st.  Don't leave
everything to the last minute.
   http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html

Second, the purpose of MathTran JavaScript is to make it easier for
authors and users of web pages to take advantage of MathTran as a web
service.  This is at present the big weak point in deploying MathTran.

This could include www.mathtran.org serving additional information.  For
example, MathTran HTTP headeers include custom fields that allows
baseline alignment of images, via AJAX (see the JavaScript cited below).

You don't need to include making such changes to the MathTran server in
your project proposal if you don't want to.  (I'm able to take care of
that sort of thing, provided its clear what is needed.)

Third, become familiar with the present state of MathTran JavaScript.
This means looking at the code in
     http://code.google.com/p/mathtran-javascript/
     http://www.mathtran.org
     http://www.mathtran.org/js/

Please do play with the editor.js toy and 'TeX'-'UnTeX' bookmarklets.  I
think a student project could really help develop these toys into useful
and widely used web browser add-ons.  This is the goal I have in mind.

Fourth, identify the relevant skills and knowledge that you have.
Please ensure that you state these in your application and if at all
possible provide evidence.  If you can, be specific about what you've
done, and refer to URLs of project you've be involved with.

Fifth, please state what you'd like to do, should your application be
successful.  Doubtless I'll be doing some of it myself between now and
May (such as getting code to work on IE), but to make it easier to write
your application assume that MathTran JavaScript as it is now is your
starting point.

If you'd like to do something that relates to MathTran that doesn't fit
in with the above then by all means apply to do that if you wish, but it
would be best if you could discuss it here first.  Even it you don't
succeed this year, it could help prepare things for next year.

I hope all this helps.  If you've got any questions please email this
list (preferred) or myself directly (if appropriate).

with best regards

Jonathan