[pstricks] DVI previews and PDF building stops working with PSTricks in my setup

Jorge Ramos neyuru at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 20:11:58 CEST 2011

Hello everyone:

Finally, I've reached a solution. I came back to report it if someone
finds it usefull.

1) I was never able to reproduce the problem with the non-breakable
space using the tilde. This was the first hint that something was
wrong. I was using TexnicCenter with the Latex=>DVI profile and when
the pstricks package was declared (not using anything from it,
though), the compiling using DVI output made this peculiar thing that
made some non-breakable spaces cease to work.

2) A more important problem then arised in the form that no changes
made to a document where visible in the output when pstricks was
enabled. Understanding the problem was a little of a headeache.
Firstly, as Carsten pointed out, DVI is not 100% compatible with
pstricks (or so I it was what I understood). Although I was using DVI
there where no graphics in my document created with pstricks, so that
some other thing would have to be more responsible for the updating of
the output. Both Carsten and Eduardo pointed out some other way for
building the output, more compatible with pstricks. I already have
downloaded "The Not sot short intro to Latex2e" months back and
recently, the "Pstricks users guide" by Timothy Van Zandt. I don't
remember reading anwhere about the incompatibility of pstricks and
DVI. I was then redirected to try LAtex=>DVI=>PS=>PDF, and boy... how
many hours I spent on trying to figure out this... so the problem was
resolved when:

3)Configuring correctly Texniccenter in the output profile. I am using
Adobe Reader X (v.10 I think) and any configuration working for
previous versions of the reader did not work with X. I found out in
Texniccenter's forum and Adobe's forum that the "server" box in the
"viewer" tab of the output profiles configurator of Texniccenter had
to be renamed "acroviewR10". This was the major source of frustation
because the server box had always been "acroview" (some other report
"acroread"), but ever since the release of AR X it changed as stated
before. Adobe even didn't change it's manual (see
http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/10/Acrobat10_HTMLHelp/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?&accessible=true
  and observe that this manual IS for the 10th version of the reader).
Changing to acroviewR10 enabled texniccenter to correctly close the
document before writing the new output, and opening it back.

I will miss the ruler application bundled with YAP nd although I have
downloaded "A ruler for windows" by Rob Latour, it does not scale as
the zooming changes in the PDF document. Also, the automatic placement
of a dot in the paragraph by YAP where the latest change in the
document was made. So far, I have to scroll down in my document when
using AcrobatReader all the way to the latest changes made. Thanks
everyone for your kind advise..

Jorge.