[pstricks] pstricks and mathematica output

Michael Sharpe mchl.sharpe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 03:19:32 CET 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 6:01 PM, Jon Joseph wrote:

> I am looking for a simple way to occasionally incorporate graphical output from Mathematica with LateX graphics using PSTricks. I can save the Mathematica graphical output as an EPS file but I lose resolution so I would rather save the pictures as a PDF which makes it very difficult to use PSTricks. While I have made this work the process seems very cumbersome.
>
> I would like the whole process to be as simple as using plain old PSTricks. Anyone have an outline of algorithm that can simplify the process?  Thanks, Jon.

Saving the Mathematica output as eps should not lose resolution---it involves no rasterization of the image. You have to decide whether you want to (a) use Mathematica fonts for the labels; (b) use placeholders for the labels and replace them while importing the eps using Mathpsfrag; (c) add all labels in pstricks. The other option with Mathematica is to use the raw data from the Graphics[] output in the form of coordinate lists which you render with listplot. This is easy to automate.

Michael