[pstricks] pst-3dplot twodimensional Normal-density function

Felix Hoffmann fhoffmann at iam.uni-bonn.de
Wed Dec 2 11:53:10 CET 2009

Hi all,

I am new to the list, so I don't know, whether someone posted a similar
request.
I am trying to plot the density of the standard normal distribution over
\mathbb R^2. That is successful with pst-3dplot in the following manner,
but there are two problems, I would like to fix, but I don't know how.

1. Can I get the lines of my painting as niveau-lines, meaning, all the
points of the same z-value should be on the same line? How can I do it
with ps-tricks and related packages, or do I need something different?

2. If I can't do it with ps-tricks, how can I get the parser to draw the
x and the y lines over the main part of the function, and not only
either the y lines or the x lines?

Here is the code I wrote to this:

\begin{figure}[H]\centering
\begin{pspicture}(-6,-3)(6,4)
\psset{Alpha=45,Beta=15,zThreeDunit=10,zMin=-0.2,zMax=0.3,yMax=4.5,yMin=-4.5,xMax=4.5,xMin=-4.5}
\pstThreeDCoor
\psplotThreeD[plotstyle=curve,
yPlotpoints=50,xPlotpoints=80,linewidth=0.1pt,hiddenLine=true,drawStyle=xLines](-4,4)(-4,4){0.159155
2.718281828 x x mul y y mul add 0.5 mul neg exp mul}
\end{pspicture}
\caption{Dichte der Standardnormalverteilung in $\mathbb R^2$.}
\end{figure}