[pstricks] Points of Intersection

David Arnold dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net
Wed Mar 18 20:33:31 CET 2009

My trigonometric solution requires a little law of cosines and a
calculator.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pstricks}
\usepackage{pstricks-add}

\begin{document}

\begin{center}
\psset{unit=0.12,linecolor=blue}
\begin{pspicture}(0,-3)(25,20)
\pnode(0,0){A}
\pnode(25,0){B}
\pnode(24;55.9){C}
\ncline{A}{B}
\nbput{$k+2$}
\ncline{B}{C}
\nbput{$k$}
\ncline{C}{A}
\nbput{$k+1$}
\end{pspicture}
\end{center}

\end{document}

On Mar 18, 2009, at 11:50 AM, David Arnold wrote:

All,

Suppose that I want a triangle having sides measuring 4, 5, and 6
units. Using Geometer's Sketchpad, or Geogebra, I could draw a
segment AB of length 6, then add circles of radius 4 and 5 with
centers at A and B, respectively. I then could choose on of the
points of intersection of the two circles, call it C, and I would
have the needed triangle ABC.

Now, in pstricks I could do some trig, come up with some angles, and
use a polar coordinate representation of the point C.

What I am wondering is this: Is there a slicker way of accomplishing
this goal of drawing a triangle with sides 4, 5, and 6 units?

Suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

D.