[pstricks] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: recursion

Robert Salvador salvador at htlinn.ac.at
Sun Oct 28 18:31:28 CET 2007

Thank you John for your detailed answer on this fundamental topic!

Robert

On Sunday 28 October 2007 03:36:50 am Robert Salvador wrote:
> Thank you very much, Alan!
>
> I am doing what you thaught I am doing. And this \edef is exactly what
> need. All is working now   :-))
> By the way: where can I find information about these TeX (??) -
commands
> like \def, \edef, \gdef, ... and all the others that one can use in
> LaTeX together with pstricks?
>
> Robert

LaTeX is really a layer cake and the bottom layer is Knuth's original
primitive commands. The next layer is (most of) the plain tex format.
This is
incorporated into  the LaTeX format layer, next come optional LaTeX
styles
and add-on packages like pstricks.

\def,  \edef etc. come from that bottom layer.  The TeXBook is a
reliable, if
somewhat hard to follow guide.  Beyond that canonical  work I use _TeX
for
the Impatient_ , A Beginners Book of TeX_ ,and _TeX by Topic_ in that
order.
Two of the three (Impatient and Topic) can be downloaded free. I
ultimately
bought a used paper copy of Impatient via Amazon Marketplace however
because
I use it so frequently and a ring binder is clumsy.

I prefer plain tex, plain pdftex or Context to LaTeX or pdflatex.
--
John Culleton
Want to know what I really think?