[pstricks] Page Orientation and Origin Location

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 21 20:37:10 CEST 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Herbert Voss wrote:

> Rich, I suppose, you do not really understand what the pspicture
> environment does.

Herbert,

   You are correct.

> \begin{pspicture}(-1,-1)(3,4)
> defines a box of 4cm width and 5cm height. The lower left of this box
> is _always_ placed on the baseline of the current text line. What
> happens _inside_ this box is not of interest for TeX. The PSTricks
> origin of the above box is 1cm right and 1cm up from lower left
> of the box.

   When I create a PSTricks file within LyX there must be a default location
of "the current text line." One of my problems is understanding where this is
set and how I can modify that. In your example above, if I understand
correctly, you have moved the PSTricks picture box origin left and down 1cm
from the current text line and point.

> \begin{pspicture}(1,1)(5,6)
> this box also has the same size, but the PSTricks origin is outside of
> the box.

   Let me test my understanding. {pspicture} is a PSTricks environment. In the
first example the defined box begins 1cm up and to the right of the baseline
and current character position. In the example immediately above, the
PSTricks environment is offset 1cm down and to the left of the box corner.

   How then, in LaTeX, do I specify where on the paper the (0,0) point is? In
the example I included in my previous message, I had to move the PSTricks box
so the completed figure was visible. But, the dotted outline showed that the
TeX origin was too high and to the right to display the figure.

> \begin{pspicture}(-3,-4)(3,4)
> this box has a size of 6cm x 8 cm, but the PSTricks origin is 3cm from
> left and 4cm from bottom.

   By now I've got the picture -- no pun intended. :-)

> Without a \pspicture environment the TeX box is of zero dimension, means
> everything will be overwritten.

   This I understand, too. Again, with a new document that will contain only a
PSTricks figure, how do I manipulate the location of that TeX box's lower
left corner?

Much appreciated,

Rich

--