[pstricks] Page Orientation and Origin Location

Herbert Voss LaTeX at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 21 20:02:35 CEST 2005

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>  On my initial two illustrative plots I have the limits for pspicture
>> set at (0,8)(9,5). With units=1.5cm, the plot is offset near the right
>> edge
>> of the page. If I change the initial x-axis location to -0.5 then half
>> the
>> y-axis label is hidden because it's outside the viewport. But, there is
>> plenty of room on the left.
>

>   Discovered the orgin={} command on page 24 of the Users Guide. If I
> put the
> command within the \psset options, the axes and curve move, but the tics
> and
> all labels remain. If I put the command as an option to pspicture, the code
> fails to compile. The Users Guide mentions that this is a result of the
> origin affecting only pure graphics objects, so how does one shift the
> origin
> of the entire figure?

Rich, I suppose, you do not really understand what the pspicture
environment does.

\begin{pspicture}(-1,-1)(3,4)

defines a box of 4cm width and 5cm height. The lower left of this box
is _always_ placed on the baseline of the current text line. What
happens _inside_ this box is not of interest for TeX. The PSTricks
origin of the above box is 1cm right and 1cm up from lower left
of the box.

\begin{pspicture}(1,1)(5,6)

this box also has the same size, but the PSTricks origin is outside of
the box.

\begin{pspicture}(4,5)

this box also has the same size, but the PSTricks origin is at the lower
left (0,0).

\begin{pspicture}(-3,-4)(3,4)

this box has a size of 6cm x 8 cm, but the PSTricks origin is 3cm from
left and 4cm from bottom.

The origin={} option is not really needed, it is only for special pupose.

A \psset{unit=0.5cm} _before_ the \begin{pspicture} depends to the
box size _and_ PSTricks coordinates.
A \psset{unit=0.5cm} _after_ the \begin{pspicture} depends only to the
PSTricks coordinates.

Without a \pspicture environment the TeX box is of zero dimension,
means everything will be overwritten.