[pstricks] thanks, and recommend?

Doug Mounce mounce at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 15 18:43:21 CEST 2004

Dear All, thanks for the continuing help and examples on this mailing
list.  I've included a simple control diagram in-case anyone has a use
for it, but I was interested in any general discussion about the
advantages and disadvantages between pstricks and drawing in the LaTeX
picture environment.

My boss was inspired by my drawings, but not inclined to closely listen
to my rough idea about the advantage in using pstricks.  Instead, he
designed a picture environment where he displays a gray-scale grid in
the background to help identify where to put the lines and circles.  I
said that pstricks does some of the spacing in a manner more consistent
with how LaTeX is supposed to manage layout, but I had to admit that
not having a .dvi file was a drawback.

As the group considers what procedure to adopt, what general categories
should I identify for consideration?  The plot functions in pstricks
seem ideal for all the work we generate in LabVIEW, Matlab and
Mathematica, for example.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, regards, Doug Mounce

PS - cool POV-Ray movies on our website if anyone likes that sort of
thing...

http://courses.washington.edu/goodall/MRFM/

simple control diagram example:

\documentclass{report}
\usepackage{pst-node}

\begin{document}

\begin{center}

\begin{psmatrix}[rowsep=.5cm,colsep=0.8cm]
&	Process Noise	&	&	Measurement Noise	\\
&	&		&	&	&			\\
Force Signal & \pscirclebox{+} & \psframebox{G(s)} & \pscirclebox{+} &
Output	\\
&	&	Cantilever
\psset{arrows=->,nodesep=5pt}
\ncline{->}{1,2}{3,2}<{w}