[pstricks] Problem with pstricks and colortab

Alberto Vecchiato vecchiato at to.astro.it
Thu Oct 3 09:24:56 CEST 2002

Hi all, my name is Alberto Vecchiato, and I'm new at using the prosper and
pstricks packages for making slides and presentations.

Yesterday I tried to make a table with colored cells for the first time,
and not only I didn't succeed, but my attempts at resolving the problem
made other problems emerge.

I simply copied a code found elsewhere (actually, the tutorial by Denis
Girou found at the URL
http://www.gutenberg.eu.org/pub/GUTenberg/publicationsPS/16-girou.ps.gz)
into a file with this header
--------------------------------------
\documentclass[slideColor,colorBG,pdf,contemporain]{prosper}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{amsmath} \usepackage{amsfonts} \usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{pstricks,pst-node,pst-text,pst-3d,pst-grad,colortab}
--------------------------------------
The result was a compilation error since LaTeX couldn't find the file
colortab.sty.  I thought that this was because the documentation is a
little outdated, and so this feature is no longer implemented this way, so
I tried to load the entire pstricks package substituting the call for
pstricks with
\usepackage{pstricks,pst-all}
this time I encountered another LaTeX error that was quite strange and
maybe is due to a bug in pstricks or in my distrubution (I use debian
sid).  Here is the excerpt of of the messages
--------------------------------------
[...]
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pstricks/pstricks.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pstricks/pstricks.tex))
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pstricks/pst-all.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/pstcol.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/color.sty
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/config/color.cfg)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/dvipsnam.def)

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.159   \definecolor{black}{gray}{0}

?
-------------------------------------
Can anyone help me?

I'm sorry for the big size of the mail, and here I try to resume here my
questions:
1) how can I obtain colored tables with (or without) pstricks?
2) is there a bug in pst-all that could explain that strange error?

For sake of completeness I have put below the code that I copied in my
file trying to make a beautiful, full-color, table.

Thanks in advance

Alberto Vecchiato

---------- code by Denis Girou ---------------
   \newsavebox{\Tableau}
   \savebox{\Tableau}
      {\begin{tabular}{|l|c|c|c|l|}
         \NAC{red}\hline\ENAC \NAC{red}\hline\ENAC
         \LCC
         \pink&\pink&\pink&\pink&\pink \\
         \multicolumn{1}{|c|}{\cyan\bf Produits} &
         \multicolumn{1}{|c|}{MVS} &
         \multicolumn{1}{|c|}{AIX} &
         \multicolumn{1}{|c|}{VP} &
         \multicolumn{1}{|c|}{Destination(s)} \\
         \ECC
         \NAC{red}\hline\ENAC \NAC{red}\hline\ENAC
         {\bf ALCHEMY} &X& & & Grappe \\ \hline
         {\bf AMBER} &X& & & C90 \\ \hline
         {\bf AMPAC} &X&X& & {\leavevmode\red Abandon} \\ \hline
         {\bf CRYSTAL} &X& & & $\Rightarrow$ CNUSC \\ \hline
         {\bf CSMP} &X& & & {\leavevmode\red Abandon} \\ \hline
         {\bf DGEOM} & & &X& C90 \\ \hline
      \end{tabular}}
      \psframebox[linestyle=none,fillstyle=gradient,gradmidpoint=1,
                  gradbegin=white, gradend=lightblue,framesep=0]
                 {\usebox{\Tableau}}