[pstricks] Pstricks and pdftex

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Sep 30 15:36:17 CEST 2002

On Sunday 29 September 2002 04:07 pm, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 20:31, John Culleton wrote:
> > Here are my thoughts, probably erroneous.
> > 1. pdftex is supposedly a superset of plain tex.
> > 2. pdftex can output dvi.
> > 3. Therefore, pdftex should have the capability for putting out
> > a dvi file with the embedded postscript specials that are generated
> > by the pstricks macros.
>
> it does. it works perfectly well. It worked for me immediately.
> its probably just a matter of specifying the right driver.

I retested it. This time it worked. Some stupid mistake on my part,
like forgetting the ps2pdf step. So the rest of my commentary is moot.
(some snipping)
> > And I have a general problem
> > with
> > Context and (more so) LaTeX in that they are too abstract and
> > structured. I want someting closer to the actual mechanism, in
> > other words something like plain tex.
>
> thats fine. but the reason for using LaTeX or ConTeXt is that
> you build on the shoulders of giants. a lot of the work is
> done for you already. by limiting yourself to plain TeX, you
> get to reinvent all the wheels again... which is your prerogative :-}

In a forthcoming book I list the giants you mention. One of them is
named Sebastian something or other :-)

Anyhow thanks for your patience. You and your peers are a big part of
why I continue to use TeX in its various forms.

John Culleton