[pstricks] Re: area under a curve

Denis Girou Denis.Girou at idris.fr
Fri Nov 23 18:24:51 CET 2001

that has been posted to comp.text.tex as well.

    Gregory.Gibby> hello
    Gregory.Gibby> I am using pstricks to write test questions for basic calc.
    Gregory.Gibby> I am having trouble finding a command or technique that will
    Gregory.Gibby> shade or crosshatch the area between a curve and the x-axis.

    Gregory.Gibby> the type of curve is x^2 - 2*x (or x x mul x 2 mul sub for you
    Gregory.Gibby> rpn addicts) from 0 to 4, so the shading has to up from the
    Gregory.Gibby> parabola to the x-axis on one part and down from the parabola
    Gregory.Gibby> to the axis on another part.

    Gregory.Gibby> the documentation I have seen only lets you shade parabolas
    Gregory.Gibby> symmetrically.  like you were filling them with water.

    Gregory.Gibby> I'm sure that this is an easily solved problem, but I can't find a good
    Gregory.Gibby> answer on google or in the graphics companion or the PST doc's.

  See for instance paragraphs 19 and 20 (pages 35-37) of the User's guide,
paragraph 4.10 (pages 142-145) of the LaTeX Graphics Companion or the
http://tug.org/applications/PSTricks/Mathematics/
Web page for some more complex examples.

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{pst-plot}

\pagestyle{empty}

\begin{document}