A question about seminar

Jcrcremer at aol.com Jcrcremer at aol.com
Fri Mar 19 09:50:22 CET 1999

I am not sure this is the right place to ask the question, as it is a question
about seminar, but it involves the overlay mechanism, which is from PStricks,
and in any case I do not know where else to ask it.

I have begun to project slides directly from my computer rather than having
them printed on transparencies. This is very easy going through dvips, then
making a PDF file and using Acrobat's full screen mode. There is just one
thing that I would like to do which I do not know how to do: build a slide
progressively.

For instance, I would like to be able to write
\begin{portraitslide}
To do wonderful slides use \begin{pass}{1} LaTeX \end{pass} and
\begin{pass}{2} seminar. \end{pass}
\end{portraitslide}

and obtain three slides. On the first you would have

To do wonderful slides use        and

on the second

To do wonderful slides use  LaTeX and

and on the third

To do wonderful slides use  LaTeX and seminar.

The other application would be for lists. One could do

\begin{portraitslide}
To do wonderful slides use \pass
\begin{itemize}
\item LaTeX \pass
\item and seminar.
\end{itemize}
\end{portraitslide}

One would then get three slides one ending after use, one after LaTeX and the
one with the whole text. Of course the first slide should be formatted in such
a way that the sentence "To do wonderful slides use" is positionned at the
same place than in the third and complete slide.

A quick and dirty way to do this is to define \pass to be equal to \white (or
whatever background color), and I think that I can see how to build macros to
do this semi-automatically reformatting the slide several times. This does not
look very elegant and is incompatible with gradient backgrounds.

On the other hand, I was wondering if there was a way to use the same
mechanism as in overlay. This is designed to print things on transparencies
that you pile up on the projector. So that if you do

\begin{portraitslide}
To do wonderful slides use \begin{overlay}{1} LaTeX \end{overlay}
and \begin{overlay}{2} seminar. \end{overlay}
\end{portraitslide}

you get a first slide with

To do wonderful slides use            and

a second with

                                        LaTeX
and a third with
                                                        seminar.

so that superimposed they give the full text.

The same general mechanism that does the overlays should be able to do
cumulative slides, but I am lost in the seminar and PStricks code. Has anybody
already solved this problem or understand enough to explain at least the basis
of the way this could be done?

Jacques Crémer

with a blank subject and in body the line unsubscribe <email-address>