PSTricks and Textures

Denis Girou Denis.Girou at idris.fr
Tue Jan 20 19:54:38 CET 1998

    Michal.Marvan> thanks a lot for your help and moral support re installing PSTricks
    Michal.Marvan> for use with Textures. Everything works O.K. now, so I am sending
    Michal.Marvan> the procedure as it seems to be correct:

  Thanks a lot for your efforts, patience and cooperative spirit. I'm sorry
for all your troubles and time lost. Unfortunately, you are in the bad case
where "official" mainteners (Sebastian and me) doesn't access to a system
like yours and can't test and really help (my personal configuration is only
AIX Unix with dvips). So, help can be only provided by other experienced users
who share the same computer environment than you.

  My only contribution can be to clarify some organization points.

    Michal.Marvan> INSTALLATION FOR USERS OF TEXTURES 1.7:

    Michal.Marvan> 1. Get files from /CTAN/graphics/pstricks/ and put them in a folder.
    Michal.Marvan>    For minimum functionality you need

    Michal.Marvan>      src.old/pstricks.doc
    Michal.Marvan>      src.old/pst-node.doc
    Michal.Marvan>      src.old/pst-coil.doc
    Michal.Marvan>      src.old/pst-make.tex
    Michal.Marvan>      generic/textures17.con
    Michal.Marvan>      origdoc/pst-test.tex  (for testing your installation)

    Alexander.Leonessa> After that, I compiled pst-make.tex,

(which is to say src.old/pst-make.tex)

  Unfortunately, even if I can't test, I can't see how such procedure can be
correct... Even if everything will seems to work well, what you will obtain
will be a 0.93a version (or a mixture of 0.93a and 97 versions if you use also
some other files from generic), but surely not a 97 version... So, it will be
largely different, as PSTricks 97 include all the old `pst-beta' material
dispatched inside new versions of the files and a lot of bug corrections...

  To summarize things:

     * The only supported distribution is PSTricks 97, available in
CTAN/graphics/pstricks

     * In the directories it contain (contrib, dvips, generic, latex, origdoc,
src.old), the only supported ones are generic, latex and dvips:

       + dvips is supported with the restriction that changes must be
validated with the various drivers used, and not only mine (for this reason,
I haven't included two corrections, as I never receive confirmation of their
validity from users of other drivers).

       + origdoc was not updated (and there is no plan to). I only correct one
simple problem reported in a file of it.

       + various subdirectories of contrib are supported or not, according to
what happen to the corresponding developers...

       + src.old contain original 0.93a sources for information purposes (only
for very special cases!), is out of date and unsupported.

    Michal.Marvan> Finally, I would like to encourage the PSTricks maintainers to update
    Michal.Marvan> the read-me.pst file.

  Of course, we will do our best to put up to date informations that we can
receive, for the advantage of users of various systems. But I think this file
come from CTAN/obsolete/pstricks, which of course will never been updated...
There is no such file in PSTricks 97. "Our" general information file is README
on the main directory. It contain the following paragraph about configuration
files:

CONFIGURATION FILES
*******************

The default `pstricks.con' sets up PSTricks for use with
Rokicki's dvips. Three alternative files are provided:

 dvipsone.con    for Y&Y's dvipsone driver
 textures15.con  for Blue Sky's Textures 1.5
 textures17.con  for Blue Sky's Textures 1.7

If you use these drivers, back up pstricks.con, and rename the
appropriate .con file to pstricks.con.

  Of course, if this information is not sufficient, out of date or clearly
wrong (it can be!), we will correct or improve it if we receive relevant and
validated informations.

  Nevertheless, I hope that you will be able to have soon a complete and
satisfying installation...

D.G.

with a blank subject and in body the line unsubscribe <email-address>