[protext] TexnicCenter - MiKTeX - package downloads

Thomas Feuerstack Thomas.Feuerstack at FernUni-Hagen.de
Tue Apr 26 14:02:22 CEST 2011

Am 23.04.2011 09:15, schrieb Mike Prager:
> I am wondering if there is any better work-around for the well-known
> incompatibility when running these two excellent programs. I ask here
> (if it's not obvious) because both are distributed as part of ProTeX.
>
> It seems that both packages are under active development, so I am
> hopeful for a solution I have overlooked.

hmm, it might have been really a better idea to ask the developers of
TeXnicCenter directly. As ProTeXt's maintainer its more in my interest
to bring those packages together, which work best in combination.

Concerning to this, i'm not quite more happy with TeXnicCenter for a
longer time, because beside the "GUI framework"-bug there are some more
annoyances, which make me think about replacing TeXnicCenter by a
different Editor in future releases:

- The automatic detection of MiKTeX lacks in case MiKTeX is installed in
the default directories. This occurs since MiKTeX 2.7

- Until today TeXnicCenter doesn't support UTF-8-encoding, which makes
it unusable with modern TeX-engines like XeTeX.

- At least there doesn't seem to be a very active development. I've just
noticed, that the version to download is still version 1StableRC1, which
it was already in January 2009.

So in my humble opinion, try using for example Texmaker
(http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/) before squandering too much energy in
TeXniccenter.

Regards - Thomas