[protext] TexnicCenter - MiKTeX - package downloads

Mike Prager mhp.usenet at mhprager.com
Sat Apr 23 09:15:46 CEST 2011

I am wondering if there is any better work-around for the well-known
incompatibility when running these two excellent programs. I ask here
(if it's not obvious) because both are distributed as part of ProTeX.

It seems that both packages are under active development, so I am
hopeful for a solution I have overlooked.

Also, if anyone reading this has got automatic downloading to work AT
ALL with this combination of software, would you share the secret with
me?  I have tried several times (choosing"Yes" as instructed below)
but have never got it to work.

Thanks for any insights!

Mike Prager

-----
(from the MT Web site)

LaTeX terminates with "GUI framework cannot be initialized" if invoked
from TeXnicCenter (1.0 Stable Release Candidate 1).  This happens when
a missing package needs to be installed and the pop-up window cannot
be displayed.

Remedy: start MiKTeX Options and choose either Yes or No (but not "Ask
me first") for the option "Install missing packages on-the-fly".

--
Mike Prager, NC, USA