[pracjourn-forum] PJMS and Pitfalls

Lance Carnes lcarnes at pctex.com
Thu Apr 28 19:36:21 CEST 2005

At 08:52 AM 4/27/2005, Will Robertson wrote:
>[PJMS] ...
>I don't think too much is required, provided that users stick to the
>PracJourn class file (is there one for ConTeXt?),

Steve Peter has one that ConTeXt authors have been using, and it seems fine.

>  keeping the same fonts, excepting exceptional cases. (Uh, obviously.)

Do you want to expand on this?  This will be useful for those of us who are
font-challenged ;-)

>Then a list of things like (sorry, copy/pasted from another source)
>
>         \item   For hyphenated words, use a hyphen (type one hyphen
> \texttt{-})\\
>         e.g. co-ordinate
>         \item   For ranges of numbers, use an en-dash (type two hyphens
> \texttt{--})\\
>         e.g. 13--18 months
>Plus, \dots for ellipses

The above would be useful also for a generic TeX Manual of Style and maybe
the Pitfalls Guide.  What do you think Peter (Flynn)?

>And a list of referencing labels (this should maybe be rolled into the
>class file):
>    Figure~\ref{fig:label}
>    Table~\ref{tab:label}
>    Section~\ref{sec:label}
>etc.

It has been suggested that this sort of formatting be consistent within a
paper, but not necessarily used in all PracJourn papers.  What do you all
think?

>I would encourage the use of colour, because we can use it without
>penalty. But then again it's often not required.

Some authors have done this.  It might be useful to have a guideline to
limit the number of different colors used per paper to two or three.  Any
thoughts on this?

>Anything else?

Here are some items authors and reviewers have suggested:

Typeset papers:
--------------------
Guidelines for the use of fonts not in the pracjourn class file

Add features of the tugboat class, like address, netaddress, and
personalURL to the pracjourn style

Automatically include a response link in the typeset paper, e.g.
"mailto:pracjourn at tug.org?subject=Comments on Smith paper 2005-04-15 rev
2005-04-12", as is done currently in the HTML abstract - do this
automatically in pracjourn style?

Formatting of url's and email addresses - provide macros in pracjourn style?

Formatting of "The PracTeX Journal", i.e. a \TPJlogo in pracjourn style?

HTML-only pieces:
         - which words to use when making an href link
         - how to format en-dash and em-dash
         - size of headines and subheads

Lance