[pracjourn-forum] PJMS and Pitfalls

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Wed Apr 27 17:52:09 CEST 2005

On 25 Apr 2005, at 11:38 AM, Lance Carnes wrote:

> Will someone take the lead for each of the following:
>
>   PracTeX Journal Manual of Style (PJMS) for LaTeX/HTML
>   PracTeX Journal Manual of Style (PJMS) for ConTeXt

I don't think too much is required, provided that users stick to the
PracJourn class file (is there one for ConTeXt?), keeping the same
fonts, excepting exceptional cases. (Uh, obviously.)

Then a list of things like (sorry, copy/pasted from another source)

	\begin{enumerate}
	\item	For hyphenated words, use a hyphen (type one hyphen \texttt{-})\\
	e.g. co-ordinate
	\item	For ranges of numbers, use an en-dash (type two hyphens
\texttt{--})\\
	e.g. 13--18 months
	\item	In a sentence, use an em-dash (type three hyphens \texttt{---})\\
	e.g. ``Now wasn't I about to---where's he gone?''\\
	or ``Don't---to quote a president---misunderestimate''
	\end{enumerate}

Plus, \dots for ellipses -- with the important decision: at the end of
a trailing sentence, use "\dots" or "\dots."? I'm inclined towards the
latter....

And a list of referencing labels (this should maybe be rolled into the
class file):
    Figure~\ref{fig:label}
    Table~\ref{tab:label}
    Section~\ref{sec:label}
etc.

Are there official TUGBoat, et al., bibliography database files? A
specific .bst could be chosen, and the argument settled between numeric
vs. author/date citation styles. I'm ambivalent but hate to see phrases
like "and [45] showed how such and such".

I would encourage the use of colour, because we can use it without
penalty. But then again it's often not required.

Anything else?

Will