[pgf-tikz] Blank lines for \pgfkeys and \ExplSyntaxOn

Henri Menke henri at henrimenke.de
Mon Jun 24 10:00:55 CEST 2024

On Thu, 2024-06-13 at 19:40 +0000, Heime via pgf-tikz wrote:
> Am doing some displays using \pgfkeys, and noticed that no blank
> lines within the key
> definitions are allowed.  I wonder if this limitation can be
> removed.

I don't see it as a limitation that blank lines in key names are
allowed. As to the question whether we can restrict it, I would say
probably not. There are too many documents and other packages that use
pgfkeys in possibly very unexpected manner.

> I would also like to have \ExplSyntaxOn, to have more flexibility
> upon the way I code
> (e.g. no % at end of things), allowing for better code display and
> organisation.
> Currently I get "Illegal parameter number in definition of
> \pgf at temp".

This is indeed a very valid feature request and in the case of pgfkeys
also well-scoped. It is unlikely that in the near future we can manage
to make all of PGF/TikZ loadable within \ExplSyntaxOn...Off, but since
pgfkeys is pretty much isolated from the rest, this task should be
doable. Could you please open a GitHub issue for this?

https://github.com/pgf-tikz/pgf/issues/new?assignees=&labels=Feature+Request&projects=&template=feature_request.yml

Cheers, Henri