[pgf-tikz] CTAN Upload: pgf

Petra Rübe-Pugliese petra at ctan.org
Wed Mar 3 10:33:09 CET 2021

Hello Henri,

Thanks for your reply:

On Wed 03 Mar 2021 at 08:32:50 +0100  Henri Menke <ctan at henrimenke.de> wrote:
> Dear CTAN,

 [...]

> If it is too much of a mental challenge to just add an exception for
> files ending in .lua, then I can't help you.  Alternatively, you ask the
> Lua developers whether they want to switch to kpathsea for file lookup.
> Good luck with that.

There must be some misunderstanding here.
There is thankfully no problem whatever with any .lua files.

And sorry for my somewhat lengthy description of our problems
when processing this package.  All I wanted to make clear was
that we may sometimes overlook a "real" error, but that this
cannot be an excuse for perpetuating such an error ad infinitum.

I _know_ pgf is an awfully complicated package for _everybody_
concerned,  so allowances have to be made on either side.

> On 02/03/21, 14:51, Petra Rübe-Pugliese wrote:
> >  There are in our internal notes 61 lines of what has to be
> >  specially considered when installing this package

> Well, why is this list not public?

 This is a list of "unusual features" we _tolerate_ in your
 package, like lack of "unique filenames", instructions how
 to verify the signature, and so on.

> [...]  This lack of transparency is annoying and this
> sentiment is shared by other TeX developers.

 We are not _deliberately_ intransparent.
 CTAN is just a very complex construction, like pgf.
 Abundant information can be found on
 https://ctan.org/file/help/ctan/CTAN-upload-addendum
 (which is e.g. accessible via a link at the bottom of
 https://ctan.org/help/upload-pkg), only it is _so_ extensive
 that it may be off-putting for beginners; that's why we only
 refer to it when the necessity arises.

> Okay, honestly I absolutely do not give a shit about this stupid flat
> tree format.
 (a) Please try to mind your language, as I try to mind mine.
 (b) Okay you don't care for it; but others may do.

 [...]
> On top of that the documentation (which I believe is this
> https://ctan.org/help/upload-pkg but who knows what kind of
> hidden documentation is floating around) is extremely vague
> and just leaves me guessing as to what is going to be accepted
> or not.
 See above.

> By the way, before I submit a release to CTAN I *always* submit it to
> the https://www.ctan.org/submit/validate endpoint first.
 Thanks for doing this!
 This is equivalent to the first validation by the upload system.
 It is necessarily less thorough than what upload managers check
 later.

 You _may_ however be interested to learn about
            https://ctan.org/pkg/pkgcheck ...

> Why do I even bother if this is apparently doing nothing?
 nothing < something < a lot < everything
 It surely does more than _nothing_  ;-)

> I'm not going to resubmit the current release because Git is very rigid
> and I don't want to fuck over my contributors by breaking their
> checkouts of the repository.  Looks like users will have to wait for
> 3.1.10 until they get an update.

 Okay.  And then, please do us a favour and remember that every
 file from the "flat tree" _has_ to be in the .tds.zip file,
 in particular the README file, but in this case with the
 _exception_ of INSTALL_NOTES which we had agreed upon earlier
 (another of the "intransparent" internal notes we were talking
 about above).

  Thanks for considering,
     and all the best,
          Petra

--
Please send messages to ctan at ctan.org in English only.
Please do not send HTML messages, they are held in our spam filter.