[pdftex] pdftex manual LaTeX conversion for 2024

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Jan 8 00:40:31 CET 2024

Am Sun, 7 Jan 2024 14:49:34 -0700 schrieb Karl Berry:

> Hello pdfTeX users - for 2024, I've converted the pdfTeX manual from
> ConTeXt to LaTeX(*). The substantive content is nearly the same, but I
> did do some small updates throughout, and tried to update some of the
> intro text.
>
> In case anyone feels like looking through it, the current PDF is
> attached (A4 size). Comments/suggestions/bugs/etc. are welcome.
> This version will be released with TL24 in (fingers crossed) March.
>
> For now, the sources are committed to branches/stable in the pdftex
> repo, and can be browsed here:
> https://tug.org/svn/pdftex/branches/stable/doc/manual/

I couldn't test everything as I'm missing some input files but it
looks basically "taggable".

Tagging didn't like the grouping around verbatim in \myverbatim and
here. In both cases a \par is missing before the group is closed:

{\small \begin{verbatim}
cmr10 CMR10 <cmr10.pfb
ptmr8y NimbusRomNo9L-Regu " TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont "
<texnansi.enc <utmr8a.pfb
\end{verbatim}
}

The primitive \moveright /\hbox construction gives a faulty
structure.

The faked headings in the licence aren't perfect either.

Ulrike