[pdftex] \interlinepenalties

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Feb 28 23:41:40 CET 2024

Hi Doug,

    Where in etex.ch, or subsequent change files (since I can't find this
    difference in etex.ch), was this difference implemented? Or is it a bug?

"Difference"? \interlinepenalties was created for etex. There's nothing
to be different from. I don't understand.

Anyway, I've never looked at the implementation before, but a cursory
glance at etex.ch shows:

@x [15] m.209 l.4168 - e-TeX penalties
@d set_shape=84 {specify fancy paragraph shape ( \.{\\parshape} )}
@y
@d set_shape=84 {specify fancy paragraph shape ( \.{\\parshape} )}
  {(or \.{\\interlinepenalties}, etc.~)}
@z

So the penalty arrays are somehow implemented in relation to \parshape,
which (as you know) tex itself resets for each paragraph. So I surmise
the resetting happens somehow related to |set_shape| (and so on) in
tex.web.  Just a guess ... -k