[pdftex] foreign letter in text

Peter Selinger Peter.Selinger at Dal.Ca
Sun Apr 21 21:42:07 CEST 2024

If you're on a unix-like system, the following command will find all lines with non-ASCII characters in one or more files:

LC_ALL=utf8 egrep -n '[^ -~]' file.tex

-- Peter

________________________________
From: pdftex <pdftex-bounces+selinger=mathstat.dal.ca at tug.org> on behalf of David Carlisle via pdftex <pdftex at tug.org>
Sent: April 21, 2024 4:01 PM
To: pdftex at tug.org <pdftex at tug.org>
Subject: Re: [pdftex] foreign letter in text

On 21/04/2024 19:53, Aleks Kleyn wrote:

> When I prepare text in English, I usually write it on Russian and then
> translate it into English. But sometimes these operations for different
> reason are separated in time. Initially pdflatex printed in log which are
> not English. It was helpful to locate such letters and finish text. Now
> pdflatex prints some blank symbol instead of foreign letter. And how I can
> locate now foreign letter in text that has about 20 files?
>
> Aleks Kleyn

As you provided no example it is hard to know what you have done but you
should never get no output with no warning.

For example this document with (I hope:-) one Russian word left in an
English paragraph

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

Some English  with a Русский word

\end{document}

Produces the error

! LaTeX Error: Unicode character Р (U+0420)
                not set up for use with LaTeX.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.5 Some English  with a Р
                            усский word
?

Which as you see, higlights the exact location of the Cyrillic text.

David

Disclaimer

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is: 30 St. Giles, Oxford, OX1 3LE, United Kingdom. Please see our Privacy Notice <https://www.nag.com/content/privacy-notice> for information on how we process personal data and for details of how to stop or limit communications from us.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses and malware by Microsoft Exchange Online (EOP)