[pdftex] pdftex Digest, Vol 184, Issue 2

Doug McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Mon Mar 27 13:32:29 CEST 2023

Yesterday I wrote:

>| Isn't "px" the CSS unit for one pixel, with unknown size?
>| Or, if printing, 1/96th of a PostScript ("bp") point?

Sigh.  I meant to say "in" instead of "bp", which is what I said further in my post.  Proofreading error, but perhaps the same error as the initialization code in the engines, if it's that.  It's real easy to make.  I don't know; prior to a couple of days ago, I had not heard of "px" as a typesetting unit.

The <https://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/units.en.html> web page I cited expressly says (when printing, not on a screen):

>| In fact, CSS requires that 1px must be exactly 1/96th of an inch in
>| all printed output. CSS considers that printers, unlike screens, do
>| not need to have different sizes for px in order to print sharp lines.
>| In print media, a px thus not only has the same visual appearance from
>| one device to another, but indeed it is measurably the same.

Doug McKenna