[pdftex] Using a truetype font in a lualatex document

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Sat Jul 9 00:20:04 CEST 2022

I'm trying to convert a LateX template to lualatex and having trouble
with a truetype font. I'm runing Linux.

I downloaded the zip file for a TrueType Computer Modern Dunhill
Regular font. I unipped it and copied the resulting .ttf file to a
directory in my font paths. I copied it as 'CM Dunhill Regular.ttf',
CM_Dunhiull.ttf and as Dunhill.ttf because I was unsure of which was
right.

I then ran $ fc-cache -f -v

As the result:

  $ fc-cache -f -v | grep Dunhill
  /home/haines/.local/share/fonts/Unknown Vendor/TrueType/CM_Dunhill :
    caching, new cache contents: 1 fonts, 0 dirs
  /home/haines/.local/share/fonts/Unknown Vendor/TrueType/CM_Dunhill
    : skipping, looped directory detected

Then I try to use the font in a document

  \documentclass[12pt]{article}
  \usepackage{fontspec}
  \setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}

  \begin{document}

    {\fontspec{CM_Dunhill} Dunhill} test

  \end{document}

But errors. One is a list of missing unicode characters such as

  Missing character: There is no l (U+006C) in font CM_Dunhill:mode=node;language=
  dflt;!

Another is

  (file /home/haines/.local/share/fonts/Unknown Vendor/TrueType/CM_Dunhill
    /CM_Dunhill__Regular_.ttf) (type 2): there are no glyphs in the
    subset

Haines Brown