[pdftex] pdftex - Encoding for metafont PK fonts

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 00:04:45 CEST 2016

On Monday 27 June 2016 23:47:09 Karl Berry wrote:
>     pdftex-pkfonts-encfile-tounicode-v2.patch
>
>     > Let me know what do you think about it and if it can be added
>     > to pdftex project.
>
> At first blush, it seems plausible, but it needs study.
>
> Simple question: are you ok with your code being released under
> GPLv2-or-later?

No problem.

> More complex: can you please provide a small self-contained example
> that shows the new feature?  So I can see what happens in action.

\nopagenumbers
\pdfmapline{+csb12 <csr.enc}
\pdfglyphtounicode{ccaron}{010D}
\pdfgentounicode=1
\font\csb=csb12
\csb \char232
\bye

Char 232 in font bitmap PK csb12 is 'č' (LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH
CARON). If you pdftex without my patch for generating pdf, then if you
select that character in pdf viewer you will see 'è'. Because 232 is in
hex 0xE8 and unicode U+00E8 is 'è'.

My patch adding support for specifying ENC file for PK fonts. Before my
patch \pdfmapline primitive was used only for Type 1, OpenType and
TrueType fonts. Now it is possible to use \pdfmapline to specify also PK
font and <file.enc syntax for reencoding.

Here file csr.enc contains mapping for font csb12 and there is specified
that on position 232 is glyph with name /ccaron.

> Ideally: can you provide a patch (starting point) for the
> documentation?

What do you mean by this? I do not understand what is starting point to
the documentation...

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com