[pdftex] pdftex core dump when including certain pdf files

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sun Jul 17 01:20:02 CEST 2016

Hi Karl, and others,

On Jul 17, 2016, at 8:33 AM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org<mailto:karl at freefriends.org>> wrote:

   -        fd = epdf_create_fontdescriptor(fontmap, stemV->getInt());
   +        fd = epdf_create_fontdescriptor(fontmap, zround(stemV->getNum()));

Ok.  StemV is the only parameter that is treated specially in this way.
(Thanh: why?  E.g., why nothing similar for StemH?  Just trying to
understand …)

I just looked up  stemV  in PDFSpec V1.3,  dated 1999.

But then there are the other PDF font descriptor parameters to consider.
As Ross said, FontWeight, ItalicAngle, Ascent, Descent, Leading,
CapHeight, XHeight, StemH, AvgWidth, MaxWidth, MissingWidth are also all
"numbers" (float).

All these parameters *were* integers back then.

Subsequently this has changed, but pdfTeX has not changed with it.
I’ll check further to determine in which version of PDF it actually changed.

In principle, we should clearly represent them in floating-point or
fixed-point, not integers, but I can't say I'm enthused about spending
time on that.

As Adobe and the ISO Technical Committee are finalising the specs for PDF 2.0,
and other PDF standards, it would be really great if it could be stated that  pdfTeX
produced fully-conforming PDF files, for at least some of such specifications.

Finding and fixing all such variable declarations is surely absolutely necessary
to be able to achieve anything along these lines.

--thanks, karl.

Cheers,

Ross

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | Level 2, S2.638 AHH
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114<tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695>
M:+61 407 288 255<tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670>  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:rick.minter at mq.edu.au>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]<http://mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>