[pdftex] Ambiguity in pdfTeX user manual syntax description

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jul 5 19:59:52 CEST 2016

I was wrong in what I said; the /PageMode is entirely independent
from the "open-action spec".

I think the way the syntax was shown was unnecessarily baroque.  It
seems that the idea is that "openaction <action spec>" can optionally
follow the \pdfcatalog <general text>, where <action spec> is the same
as for, e.g., \pdfstartlink.

The samplepdf.tex file gives an example:

\pdfcatalog{                            % Catalog dictionary of PDF output.
    /PageMode /UseOutlines              %
    /URI (http://www.fi.muni.cz/)       %
%...
}
openaction goto page 1 {/Fit}           % the action to be activated when
                                        % opening the document; this is the
                                        % same as <action spec> for links...

I've tinkered with the manual accordingly.  Thanks for the report.  -k