[pdftex] Correction to pdftex-a.pdf

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 06:01:30 CET 2016

Hello all,
I've been reading various pdfTeX manuals (from the early TUGboat
article in 1997, to various presentation style files pdftex-s.pdf and
the current pdftex-a.pdf on CTAN), and noticed one recurring
inconsistency in the font explanation section.

Using reference [1], in Section 6.1 Map files, Page 12, there is:

"If the fontflags field is not given, pdfTEX treats it as being 4, a
symbolic font."

Problem: 4 is script font, symbolic font is 3 according to Table 3.

Correction: I don't know what pdfTeX does here, but I suspect 3 rather
than 4, if the font is to be treated as symbolic.

[1] The pdfTEX user manual (May 9, 2016)
     pdftex-a.pdf (up to version 1.40.17)
[2] 62 page version (up to version 1.20b):
     http://www.pragma-ade.com/pdftex/pdftex-s.pdf
[3] 47 page version (older):
     http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/texceh/kako/tex2pdf/ex/pdftex-s.pdf
[4] The pdfTEX user manual TUGboat, Volume 18 (1997), No.4
     https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb18-4/tb57than.pdf

Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug