[pdftex] Bug in pdflatex

Armin Fügenschuh fuegenschuh at hsu-hh.de
Wed Feb 19 09:56:17 CET 2014

Dear Ross,

thanks for your reply. Actually, I developed this source code to use it in
the program LaTeXiT (from Pierre Chatelier (Cc), see
http://pierre.chachatelier.fr/latexit), which always uses the nonstop mode
for compiling. So when it did not finish and did not return an error
message, I first thought of a bug in LaTeXiT, but Pierre advised me to ask
the pdftex developers.

Regards,
Armin

> Hello Armin,
>
> On 10/02/2014, at 9:58 AM, Armin Fügenschuh wrote:
>
> > Dear pdflatex maintainers,
> >
> > there seems to be a bug in pdflatex (using Mac OS10.7.5, further version
> > details below). Try to run the attached tex source with this command, and
> > it will not stop:
> >
> > pdflatex -interaction=nonstopmode endlessloop.tex
> >
> > (In line 24, there is an additional } after n_2 that needs to be
> deleted.)
>
> You know that there is a mistake in your source coding.
> Why would you then choose to run a faulty program in nonstopmode ?
> What would you expect to happen?
>
> Endless looping is a perfectly normal outcome of a program
> that has not been specifically tailored not to loop.
> It might well only stop when some resources have been exhausted.
>

> > Regards,
> > Armin
>

> Hope this helps,
>
>         Ross

> Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au
> Mathematics Department                           office: E7A-206
> Macquarie University                             tel: +61 (0)2 9850 8955
> Sydney, Australia  2109                          fax: +61 (0)2 9850 8114

Univ.-Prof. Dr. Armin Fügenschuh

Helmut Schmidt University / University of the Federal Armed Forces Hamburg

Department of Mechanical Engineering

Holstenhofweg 85

22043 Hamburg, Germany

Phone: +49 (0)40 6541-3540

Fax: +49 (0)40 6541-3672

Mobile: +49 (0)177 3145922

Email: fuegenschuh at hsu-hh.de

Web: http://www.hsu-hh.de/am/

Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum für Informationstechnik Berlin (ZIB)

Division Scientific Computing

Department Optimization

Takustraße 7

14195 Berlin, Germany