[pdftex] Simple (?) question about \pdfobj

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 02:37:28 CET 2011

On 11-03-05 6:00 PM, Martin Schröder wrote:
> 2011/3/5 Duncan Murdoch<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>:
>> \immediate\pdfobj{concordance}
>
> Please read the pdftex manual and samplepdf.tex
> And the PDF spec. :-)
>
> Best
>     Martin

I did read the pdftex manual, and it says that the syntax of \pdfobj is
that it is optionally followed by an <object type spec>, then by
<general text>.  When the type is not given, it says that a dictionary
object is created with the <general text> as contents.

I guess I misinterpreted the syntax spec (pdftex doesn't care about what
is in the <general text>) with the need to have a valid dictionary
object.  Perhaps it could say

"a dictionary object is created with the <general text> as contents.
The <general text> should be a valid dictionary object."

(or whatever is necessary to make readers know that <general text> is
not allowed to be "general text").

Duncan Murdoch