[pdftex] pdftex cant find article.cls

sahil seth sseth4 at johnshopkins.edu
Sun Mar 13 04:20:35 CET 2011

Hi,
I am able to use texshop and create pdf files out of tex/latex code. But if I use the same file on the terminal it says:
machine-1:~ sahilseth$ pdflatex ./paper1.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
! I can't find file `./paper1.tex'.
<*> ./paper1.tex

(Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
Please type another input file name:
 for me the location of this file is: /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls I can either enter it in, but that is not the best way to go about it.
One way as people have been suggesting to to copy article.cls into the same folder as the tex file and proceed, but there must be a way to tell pdflatex to get the files from texlive. If I use texshop there are no errors, all runs smoothly
Thanks,
Sahil