[pdftex] SVG Graphics

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Fri Jun 10 20:57:15 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 15:34 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> Can't say without more information.    How much do you care about
> legacy platforms?   Would the documents be useful without graphics?
> I gather you want users of your package to be able to build the
> software and the documentation -- is that correct?

Hey George. Here is a summary:

- Fine with any platform that has access to a package manager, like
Ubuntu and Debian. In other words, if it is available on apt, it's a
candidate.

- Document would not be useful without graphics.

- Source format of document should be diff friendly, which is one of the
reasons why I am using Texinfo and not a binary or machine friendly only
format like ODT. Another advantage of the source being in a flat text
format is the build system can dynamically update variables as need be.

- Should be able to build with the rest of the software when it runs
through a makefile as part of the build system.

- Would like to customize pages with artwork in page margins, custom
fonts, page colours, etc.

- Hopefully not a massive amount of work to migrate from the Texinfo
source I have come up with to the replacement format.

- A GUI is nice icing on the cake, but not required.

> If you have not done so, you should look at examples from ConTeXt
> (maximum flexibility, least likely to be "working" on a randomly selected
> box) and the R project.  Can you think of existing widely available books
> that come close your "ideal"?  Tell us what you would change about the
> existing examples.

Can't think of anything off the top of my head, but maybe a typical game
strategy guide. It's as far as possible from black on white generic
textbook look, with everything that can be customized is customized.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred