[pdftex] TeX as a composition server?

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 26 01:06:13 CEST 2010

Robin,

> sigh.  there wasn't much of a perceptible battle going on, when i was
> starting, but the only way i would have known about it would have been
> through the printed word (the arpanet didn't make it across this side of
> the atlantic until the mid-'70s).
>
> those of us with little ambition for fights have merely to sit back and
> do our thing.  i've plenty to do, though, apart from wittering on
> mailing lists.
I'm not interested in fighting to promote flavour A over flavour B, but I
do draw the line when it comes to preserving intellectual rigour, which
has not won me many friends in my niche field.

Like you I'm a product of Cambridge, and it only seems like yesterday that
I lived in Fitzwilliam St. writing up a thermodynamics project and
lamenting the fact that I could not show the reader what I had programmed
on my BBC Model B, but it was 1984. Fast forwarding 26 years, it's now
possible to show computing directly in a PDF journal article, courtesy of
the /RichMedia annotations, which is why I find this recent Nature article
depressing: http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101013/full/467775a.html . For
instance, it's been possible for a good two years now to run a Lua
intepreter, inside a SWF, inside of a PDF, courtesy of the Alchemy
cross-compiler. And if TeX were refactored, it too could run inside a
document. Therefore, in terms of scientific computing, we are on an
exciting cusp: for authors can now lead their readers through actual
software examples rather than talking about things in a detached fashion.

Incidentally, do you know why Google street view is missing images for
Fitzwilliam St.? My room overlooked a plaque commemorating where Darwin
lived on his return from the first Beagle voyage in 1836. So I am well
attuned to my limitations as a scientist.

Cheers,

James