[pdftex] TeX as a composition server?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 24 00:51:00 CEST 2010

Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:

> 2010/10/24 Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk>:
> > no-one has ever managed a "foolproof" way of generating any sgml-based
> > format from latex, afaik.  the likeliest candidate would seem to be
> > tex4ht, which uses tex to do its parsing, but even that doesn't do the
> > whole job (and probably doesn't have an epub backend -- i've not
> > looked).
>
> Well, the last ConTeX MkIV betas can generate XML from well-formed
> documents, so it shouldn't be hard to produce XHTML^Wepub eventually. :-)

you will have noticed that i restricted my remark to latex.  bill
hammond presented a paper at tug this year about "well-forming" latex
documents, and i'm interested that you use the term of the context
documents.

latex is such a mess nowadays, with so many semantically ill-defined
extensions, that i doubt that we will ever see such a translation.  thus
gellmu will be out on a limb of some sort, unless we swerve with latex
3.

robin