[pdftex] eps files

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Thu Oct 29 00:44:25 CET 2009

sam tygier wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering what the reason is for pdflatex not being able do use
> eps files directly. Is this just something that has not been implemented
> yet? Is it technically very difficult to implement? or is it a
> deliberate choice?
>
> I know there are plenty of extensions and workarounds, but still you
> cannot take an existing .tex file and compile it with pdflatex.
>
> Also could other graphics formats be added. SVG would be nice, as
> inkscape is great for doing diagrams. I am sure other people have
> formats they would liek to use.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam

eps is not a part of the PDF specification, it is as simple as that,
though very simple eps files (e.g. Metapost output) can be included
directly, but general eps files cannot.

There are some work being done to bring automatic eps to pdf conversion
to LaTeX, but some security issues still remain to be fixed.

/daleif