[pdftex] SVG and pdftex.

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 23:12:45 CET 2009

On 06/11/2009, at 12:05 AM, John Culleton wrote:

> Hans H. suggests that
> most pdftex commands will work OK with luatex.  There are three
> categories:
> 1. Those that work the same.
> 2. Those that no longer work but have a replacement command or
> commands, or macro files that must be added.
> 3. Those that no longer work at all, at least for now.
>
> I can I suppose derive these by compiling first with pdftex and
> then with luatex.

The pdftex primitives not in luatex are all rather obscure for your
purposes, I'd imagine; things like \pdfelapsedtime, \pdfmdfivesum,
\pdffilemoddate, ... Probably the most useful one is \pdfstrcmp.

You can look to Heiko Oberdiek's pdftexcmds, which will work under
plain, to resolve the interface differences between pdfTeX and LuaTeX
(as well as XeTeX, incidentally). Beyond that package, I think you'd
experience mostly smooth sailing between the engines, although you
should never expect identical output between them.

-- Will