[pdftex] personal map files?

Erik Luijten erik.luijten at gmail.com
Fri May 8 17:33:06 CEST 2009

Hello,

I wonder if it is possible to set a search path where pdftex searches for
personal mapfiles?  There are fonts that I do not want to install globally,
but I have been unable to convince pdflatex to look for additional
mapfiles.  A work-around is to use "\pdfmapfile{+mypersonalfonts.map}"
within the LaTeX file, but that is cumbersome (not to mention that the
corresponding file then cannot be processed using latex, unless I put the
\pdfmapfile command within an \ifpdf clause.  Incidentally, I am quite
certain that in older releases of pdflatex this used to be possible (I am
currently using pdftex 1.40.3 from a texlive distribution on openSuSE 11.1).

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Erik