[pdftex] SVG into PDF

Michael Malak mmalak at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 5 21:51:26 CEST 2009

Orlando Camargo Rodríguez wrote:
> Well, it sounds excellent, but if animation is not supported then all
> the interest in embedding the SVG into the PDF is lost. One can simply
> export the SVG to EPS or PDF and insert it in the main document as a
> graphic. In fact (in my humble opinion) what made the embedding
> atractive was the possibility of combining the excellent animation and
> interactivity features of SVG with the powerful text processing
> capabilities of TeX, plus the great portability of PDF.

Exactly.  And it's reasonably easy to use a text editor to write an
interactive illustration in SVG, with reactions to mouse events and so
on.  (Incidentally, the Flex website says that "Interactivity and
scripting is not supported" when using Flex to include SVG in SWF.  Bummer.)

> Right now there
> are some excellent tools to make scientific documents "alive": form
> support is great and one can embed animations inside PDF (there are some
> nice examples in the TeX showcase - http://www.tug.org/texshowcase/).
> But forms and animation can not be combined together. And let's not
> forget that an SVG animation is very small when compared to an
> "standard" animation, made of frame by frame sequences.  This is why I
> think that it is a pity that such a great tool as the SVG plugin was so
> briefly supported by the Adobe Reader.
>
> Best regards
>
> Orlando Camargo Rodríguez

What I still don't understand is why the samples from
http://www.kevlindev.com/utilities/index.htm _do_ work.  You can see by
reading the PDF files that they really do have the SVG code embedded as
a stream; it's not the case that the SVG has been translated into
equivalent PDF instructions.  So it seems as though the ability to show
SVG is now built in to Acrobat (or at least comes with it
automatically), and so I don't think that the problem is the lack of the
SVG-Viewer plugin.

Mike Malak