[pdftex] SVG into PDF

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Tue May 5 15:15:30 CEST 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Orlando Camargo Rodríguez wrote:

> Well, it sounds excellent, but if animation is not supported then all
> the interest in embedding the SVG into the PDF is lost. One can simply
True. But I think you'll find the FLEX SDK provides a much richer means
than SVG for developing interactive features for PDF documents. That said,
there are a number of teething problems that Adobe need to sort out, such
as: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/395470 .

> export the SVG to EPS or PDF and insert it in the main document as a
> graphic. In fact (in my humble opinion) what made the embedding
> atractive was the possibility of combining the excellent animation and
> interactivity features of SVG with the powerful text processing
> capabilities of TeX, plus the great portability of PDF. Right now there
> are some excellent tools to make scientific documents "alive": form
Making scientific documents "alive" as you call it is an issue very close
to my heart, see for example: http://www.amrita-ebook.org/doc/amr2003.

> support is great and one can embed animations inside PDF (there are some
> nice examples in the TeX showcase - http://www.tug.org/texshowcase/).
> But forms and animation can not be combined together. And let's not
> forget that an SVG animation is very small when compared to an
> "standard" animation, made of frame by frame sequences.  This is why I
> think that it is a pitty that such a great tool as the SVG plugin was so
> briefly supported by the Adobe Reader.
Again, no. With the capabilites of FLEX, the absence of the SVG plugin is
no great loss. And if you'd care to communicate offline, I'd be happy to
ship you the latest example I'm working on which dovetails with the url
given above to show the possibilities that now exist for authoring
self-subtaantiating scientific documents. These are interactive documents
which allow the interested reader to try out the reported work,
first-hand, right down to its smallest detail.

James