[pdftex] Producing PDF/X-1a:2001

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Jun 6 02:06:16 CEST 2009

Hi John and Jürgen,

On 06/06/2009, at 8:44 AM, Juergen Fenn wrote:

> John Culleton schrieb:
>> The largest digital printer around, LSI, requires that pdf files be
>> converted to the old  PDF/X-1a:2001 standard.
>
>> Is there a way in the TeX/Ghostscript world to convert to this
>> standard without resorting to Distiller?
>
> You might like to have a look at the pdfx package by C. V.
> Radhakrishnan
> and Hàn Thế Thành. The TeX Catalogue says it "helps LaTeX users to
> create PDF/X-1a and PFD/A-1b compliant pdf documents with pdfTeX".

Yes. I've used this a bit with the "tagged PDF" that I'll be talking
about at TUG 2009 (and earlier at the CICM meetings).

I've a slightly modified version of the package that also handles
the formal aspects of PDF/A-1a , provided you turn off compression.
It also fixes a problem with different date formats.
In reality, Acrobat Pro v8.*  validates OK, but the same PDF has
minor issues with AP v9.* --- for reasons currently unexplained.

I'd be happy for anyone to experiment further with this.

> Markus Kohm recommended it on de.comp.text.pdf in Message-ID:
> <1686733.cNA28lGFcR at mjk.komascript.de>. He also referred to section
> 7 of
> the ps2pdf manual for creating PDF/X-3. That's probably the same piece
> of advice Karl already gave to you.
>
> http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/pdfx.html
>
> Jürgen.

Hope this helps,