[pdftex] Font subsetting with PDFs from InDesign?

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Thu Jul 10 14:09:23 CEST 2008

Hi,
I'm trying to create PDFs with InDesign which when included in pdfTeX
pdfTeX will subset the included fonts. One of the criteria for pdfTeX
is the existence of the /CharSet key in the FontDescriptor. I haven't
yet managed to create PDFs with this key; apparently ID thinks the
FontName is enough to indicate subsetting.

Is there a way to coerce ID to write the /CharSet key? Or is there
software that adds the key to PDFs?

Background: We have a customer that creates PDFs while embedding many
PDFs. The resulting file uses >5k fonts, which the software at the
printing house doesn't like...

Best
   Martin