[pdftex] Font (embedding) problem

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Mar 26 21:15:54 CEST 2007

>>>>> "Thierry" == Thierry Bouche <thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr> writes:

Thierry> I remember vaguely that distiller removed UniqueIDs so as
Thierry> to disable font cacheing, maybe does ghostscript something
Thierry> similar?

Adobe reps have written that Adobe considers UniqueIDs essentially
deprecated.  As I recall, their RIPs ignore them and they stopped
including them in new fonts.  (Of course, they have since moved to
otf fonts.)

Part of the reason is that modern RIPs have enough RAM and CPU that
the advantage of caching the fonts is so small -- in terms of wall-
clock time -- as to be lost in the noise.  The rest is that problems
sometimes occur, such as what the OP is likely seeing.

The post, again as I recall, suggested not including UniqueID when
creating or embedding fonts, and ignoring it when rendering fonts.

So, pdftex should drop the UniqueID when embedding fonts.

-JimC