[pdftex] Font (embedding) problem

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Mon Mar 26 14:59:22 CEST 2007

Hi,

M> For instance, when using old-style figures in the body text and lining
M> figures for footnote numbers, all 1's were printed as a lining figure,
M> whether they were old-style, lining or superscript ones.

in general, this trouble shows one thing: the printer uses a
font cache, based on unique IDs, and something is wrong with unique IDs
in your PDF or elsewhere in the printing process.

I remember vaguely that distiller removed UniqueIDs so as to disable
font cacheing, maybe does ghostscript something similar?

But maybe also is there a problem with print engine using an internal ID
made up with FontName or such? the specific problem with multiple
subsets of one master PFB is that all font data (FontDescriptor dict) is
exactly the same, the only difference being in the encodings of the
subsets.

I don't know enough to tell whether it is current pdftex's or the
printer's fault that end up in caching the first subset of the font as
if it were the whole thing.

 Thierry