[pdftex] Pale print with Adobe Reader

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Mar 21 15:56:56 CET 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 03:19:45PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> So, it seems that the problem of much too light fonts remains also with non
> bitmapped fonts.  But why?

Why it should disappear?
There are some parameters for MetaFont that influence the appearance of
a font. Thus you can use parameter settings configured for your printer.
However then the resolution of the fonts is fixed. Usually not a good
idea for portable PDF files.

> What I would actually like is to go on using
> a font which look exactly like Knuth's TeX default Computer Modern, but that
> will come out dark and not `pale' or light

The CM fonts and variants do have very thin lines. Therefore the fonts
may look "pale". It's a decision of the font designer. If you don't like it,
use other fonts. But it doesn't make much sense in deliberately using
a pale font and complaining about its paleness.

BTW the sources of the CM fonts are available, thus you can generate
your own variant.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>